Tuesday, December 22, 2020

The Eternal Three King's Burger

Cheese

Burger

A Christmas tradition growing up was that can of the 1st King - Cougar Cheese. An uncle was a professor at Washington State and every relative must have been on his Christmas cheese list. I was surprised to receive a can as a gift this year and a little misty to see it in the same packaging. It's a rich and crumbly cheddar. Almost white and as sharp as an A Team leader's Randall. Not on the gourmet radar but at $18 a can it should be.

What is on the gourmet radar are these burgers. I've been a fan of cheap chuck, 70/30% fat, burgers for years but the La Frieda shortrib burger- the 2nd King - is pure art. Nutty with an aroma when it's cooking that reminds me of a Cuban cigar. It's a musty smell that wakes up the primal, 'I gotta kill something.' The minute they hit the pan I begin to salivate like the wolf in the three little pigs cartoon.

Lay on thinly sliced Cougar Cheddar and after 30 seconds stick it on the 3rd King - A Martin's potato bun. Almost sticky in it's dense moisture - it sucks up the blood from the burger and the oil from the cheese and is the perfect wrapper for the whole of this affordable luxury.

I may not be able to drink forever. I'm not going to be able to have sex forever. But I'm gonna be eating forever, at least my forever, and there's no reason to suffer while I'm doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment