Sunday, March 15, 2020

Beyonce a Sex Positive Feminist?

Okay, so I know Beyonce comes up in our class frequently, but I couldn't help posting about her song "Partition". I listen to "Partition" all the time. I know it's a very sexual song, but there are some french lyrics in it that I never bothered to look up until today. The lyrics are actually very interesting. I learned the translation for the French lyrics in "Partition" from an article on Slate.com. According to Slate.com, the french lyrics in "Partition" are, "Est-ce que tu aimes le sexe? Le sexe. Je veux dire, l’activité physique. Le coït. Tu aimes ça? Tu ne t’interesses pas au sexe? Les hommes pensent que les féministes détestent le sexe, mais c’est une activité très stimulante et naturelle que les femmes adorent." The translation of these lyrics in English is, "Do you like sex? Sex. I mean, the physical activity. Coitus. Do you like it? You're not interested in sex? Men think that feminists hate sex, but it's a very stimulating and natural activity that women love." I think this is so interesting. People always debate whether or not Beyonce is a feminist, yet she's had  feminist lyrics in two songs. Also, I find these "Partition" lyrics very empowering for some reason. I love that Beyonce is owning her sexuality, and she's not sorry about it. I am still confused about my stance on sex positive feminism because some points of sex positive feminism I agree with, and some I don't. However, I know that I do not think that women should have to hide their sexuality. Sometimes I do think female celebrities' sexuality can come across as a little too much, but in the end, the female body is beautiful and should be celebrated. Still, there's a fine line between celebrating the female body and objectifying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment