Friday, March 27, 2020

I Dislike Childbirth

     To begin, I hate childbirth. It truly disgusts me. I don't want children, but even if I did, I would not want to go through with childbirth. The readings for today have not changed my mind regarding the subject.
     Goer and Gawanthe both discussed the dangers of childbirth. I had heard many of this before, but I am surprised that, after reading others' blog posts, that not many other people have heard of these aspects of childbirth. However, I had previously thought these dangers were applicable to childbirth in every way, not just mainly because of C-sections. I have always believed that C-sections were the way to go. I thought they were quick, painless, and safe. I am the youngest of 4. My mom had my oldest sister naturally, then had the twins via C-section. She decided C-section was great, and thus had a C-section when I was born. Never did she mention any issues. Now that I know that I know that C-sections may cause clots, strokes, PTSD, etc. for the mother, and respiratory issues, asthma, and other problems in the infants, I cannot believe that my own mother would choose a C-section.
     On the other hand, the readings discuss the forceps method, which I have found to be terrifying since I first heard of it. It just seems like a horrible idea. Babies bones are not fully formed at birth, including their skulls, so I never understood why a doctor would think it would be ideal to grab the baby's soft little head with a pair of tongs. Classic example of forceps gone wrong: Sylvester Stallone. We all know him as Rocky Balboa, and for his slight snarl on his face and slur in his speech. But what people don't know is that Stallone isn't just walking around, drunkenly giving everyone a stink face, but that, at birth, obstetricians used not one but TWO forceps, causing partial paralysis to his face. Once again, I do not understand why the forceps method was ever thought to be smart.
     Although I have no interest in childbirth because I will never undergo it, I do think it is a problematic practice due to the industrialization of it. C-sections are convenient. They are "easy." But they are not always safe, nor are they always the best option. This is a selfish move on the behalf of the medical industry that is essentially being forced on mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment