Thursday, April 30, 2020

Enloe

There was a really heart wrenching, quickly mentioned topic in Enloe.  I am referring to the induction of girls into the Sierre Leone army. This really broke my heart. Children male or female should not be fighting in a war. I am also upset that I'm just now hearing about this. I'm sure this was publicized, but I think happenings such as this is something that everyone should be aware of.

Secondly, I hardly ever question patriarchy. By this I mean I don't really think about how patriarchy plays into something that happens in my life. Since taking this class, I have been more aware of sexism and patriarchy. Still, I think I do need to question more what happens in the world around me and how patriarchy plays into it.

Enloe briefly discusses the WNBA. I realized that there are hardly no women coaches if any in the NBA. Is that not allowed or something? It's weird to me that this is something that I have never noticed. I know that the NBA is for men, but why would the teams not be able to be coached by a woman? I do think that if a woman were to be a coach of a team in the NBA she would have problems with sexism. I  can see many male basketball players having a problem listening to a woman, so maybe this plays into the lack of female coaches in the NBA.

Anyway, these are my musings from the readings. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment