Sunday, February 23, 2020

History Was Made in the NBA Tonight

     While performing my usual procrastination ritual, I found this article on the homepage of Buzzfeed. It goes a bit overboard because it lists probably everything Jason Collins did during the game to emphasize his unprecedented status, but the article is essentially praising Collins for his first NBA game as the first out gay player in the sport.  I don't know much about the NBA, so I didn't know that there weren't any openly gay players until now.
     Regardless, I think this is great news. My friends and I were talking yesterday about gay athletes just at Colgate, and how we all know of a bunch of female athletes who are open about their sexuality, but none of us know of any who are male. We all realized that it seems to be tougher for guys in athletics, so I think it's really wonderful to see that it is accepted in a growing number of professional sports.


P.S. I did some research on Jason Collins. He publicly came out in April 2013, but was a free agent at the time. So the public knew he was gay before tonight, but tonight was the first night he played as a signed player, thus making history.
P.P.S. Jason Collins is seven feet tall. SEVEN. It always amazes me that people can be that tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment