Monday, February 24, 2020

Religious Imposition

      I recently stumbled upon this article about a clinic in Ottawa, Canada. A women had entered the clinic to obtain a prescription for birth control, but however due to the religious beliefs of the clinic's doctor she was refused access to it. The doctor said in his refusal letter to her, "I only provide one form of birth control, Natural Family Planning.". I was shocked. I cannot believe that a doctor was allowed to impose his own personal religious values upon others. While I understand that he was exercising his religious freedom, his religious beliefs were impacting the heath of another individual. 
     Also, birth control pills are not only used for contraception, they are also used to treat many other conditions such as Dysmenorrhea, a condition that I myself have. Without taking birth control pills I would be dysfunctional, shaking, throwing up, and bed-ridden in extreme pain every month. I could not imagine being refused access to the medication that gives me freedom. While I am upset mainly because I am thinking about my own medical issues, I do not think it's fair regardless. I hope she found another doctor without too much difficulty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment