Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Olympics for All


The first topic discussed in Anne Fausto-Sterling’s book, Sexing the Body, discussed women athletes and the issues one in particular, Maria Patino, faced in the Olympics. Although all athletes are required to conduct a series of physicals, she was unable to compete because she could not be determined as a woman. She looked like a woman, but did not have the internal characteristics of a woman. I was conflicted in my feelings towards her exemption from competition because in a way, I understand both sides of the argument. As a female athlete, I personally would not like to compete against men. There is something biologically proven that men are naturally faster and stronger and I would feel disadvantaged if I were to compete against them. It seems wrong to desire such separation, but it is true. I am thankful that this school has separate women’s and men’s lacrosse teams because it gives me more opportunity to play. The fact that Maria Patino was unable to compete is extremely unfortunate especially because she was unaware of her inability to be determined as a male or female, but if I was her competitor and there was question that she was actually a man and therefore had a physical advantage, I would be discouraged having to compete against her.
After studying Maria Patino’s specific situation, it makes it apparent of the problems between the Olympics and gender identity. The Olympics have events for men and events for women, but what about the people that identify with another gender? The fact that there was no third option for Maria determines the problem with the Olympics. But unfortunately, there does not seem to be a solution to this problem in the making because it is an international event. Not all countries accept alternative gender identities and would not be comfortable with adding another series of events for those with another gender association. 

No comments:

Post a Comment